3/31/11

DigiGirlz and other Events

Look! I'm in the news!:
DigiGirlz article

I spoke with Marcella at the Microsoft DigiGirlz event at the University of Albany a couple of days ago. It's an event put together by Microsoft to educate high school girls about careers in tech that they can pursue - and encourage them by having women speakers. It was a lot of fun, although I worry that the exercise we brought ended up being a little too young.. We had some extra time at the end, so I used it as an opportunity to get on my soapbox a little about girls in games. ;) 

I also spoke at the Girls, Inc Summit at the college of St. Rose with Kristen in December (I had made these images for our presentation). I don't think I ever posted the news clip about it, so here it is: video. This event was for middle school students and it was really cool.

Finally, here is the STEM video that VV put together for Activision's participation in the STEM video contest a few months ago. I'm in there, but I don't really say very much.. haha.



I also do a lot of presentations at work when students come in for tours. I really love doing events like this because I sort of stumbled into gaming by accident - I didn't really know what it was all about, and I thought that because I hadn't been a hardcore gamer all my life it wouldn't be for me - but I couldn't have been more wrong! I want to share this knowledge with as many students as possible so that they can understand what it really means to have a career in games, and they may find that it's for them. I don't want anyone to miss out, like I almost did - especially girls. ;) We need as many of them in the industry as we can get!!

No comments: